Stoney Mesa is Colorado’s first winery to be passed down to a second generation.
Stoney Mesa was established in 1989 by the Neal Family with the purchase of a 50 acre farm in Cedaredge, Colorado. Having roots in Western Colorado, we began to notice a burgeoning wine industry. Ron Neal, having worked many hours in the San Francisco area, spent a fair amount of free time learning about wine in the famed California wine country. In 1989 at a family gathering, it was decided to take the plunge combining our Colorado heritage, and love for wine.
- 1989 – Purchased 50 acre farm in Cedaredge, Colorado, 58 miles south east of Grand Junction.
- 1990 – The first of 2 acres of Gewurztraminer was planted south of the old farm house that was built at the turn of the century.
- 1991 – The original winery was established in an old 12’ x 16’ milk barn that was renovated and fitted with a small lab area, and just a few hundred gallons of capacity. We added another acre of Gewurztraminer, and in 1993 had our first commercial production.
- 1993 – Turned a small 10’x12’ cabin next to the winery for a tasting room.
- 1994 – First release of wine for sale.
- 1995 – Expanded by moving the barrels to a garage on the property, but quickly realized it would not be enough.
- 1997 – Built the first building of the current facility, a 25’ x 40’ steel building. We moved everything into it, and moved Tasting Room into old farm house.
- 1998 – Planted 3 more acres of grapes, Pinot Noir (since removed) and Merlot.
- 2000 – Began addition to winery, 3000 sq. ft. cold room, and barrel room. Partnered with BDC for wholesale distribution.
- 2003 – Purchased 8 acre vineyard on Orchard Mesa in the Grand Valley AVA that was planted in 1982 and two new 1500 gal stainless steel jacketed tanks.
- 2006 – Built new 4000 sq. ft. storage/tasting room building on Orchard Mesa Vineyard.
- 2007 – Purchased custom press, bottling line, and 4 custom tanks.
- 2008 – Purchased 5 more acres on Grand Valley’s famed East Orchard Mesa.
- 2010 – Planted 2.5 acres of Pinot Gris and an acre of Zwiegelt and Baco Noir.
Consistency and Quality
Since entering our first competition in 1997 we have won over 50 awards with our wines, including Gold, Silver, and Bronze medals as well as a handful of “Best of” awards. In 2004 we won best overall wine scores at the Colorado Mountain Winefest in Palisade for all of our entries. In 2006 we were voted Best Colorado Dessert wine in the Best of issue of Colorado Vine Magazine. In 2010 we were awarded the first ever Commissioners Cup for best wine at the Mesa County fair wine competition. We have garnered awards from such events as the L.A. County Fair, Eastern International, San Francisco International, San Diego International, Indiana International, IWWC, and many others.
We have a courteous and dedicated sales staff to market our wines across the state. Stoney Mesa’s professionally designed website has an up to date database of stores in Colorado that carry our wine. We also monitor what wines each store offers to make it even more convenient for customers. Our staff and operation actively use social media tools like Facebook in order to help build our customer base. And we participate in all of the major wine festivals around the state to promote all local liquor stores in that area that carry our wines.